Today is the opening day for the Dane County Fair! Between the carnival rides, food stands and animals, you can stay busy while taking in the scenes of the fair. During past county fair seasons, swine exhibits have been associated with outbreaks of influenza infections among people. This particular influenza virus, known as A/H3N2v, may spread more easily from swine to people, and common symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, rhinorrhea or nasal congestion.
Follow these tips to prevent catching the flu during your fair, farm or petting zoo visit.
- Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water frequently and immediately after animal interaction. If soap and water are not available use an alcohol-based hand gel.
- Do not take food or drink into the pig areas.
- Do not eat or drink while in the pig areas.
- Avoid bringing toys, strollers and similar items into pig areas.
- Minimize contact with pigs in the pig barn.