Compliments of EveryDay with Rachael Ray. Recipe recommended by Krista Kohls, Meriter Clinical Nutritionist.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 2.5 ounce container baby spinach
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a 9-inch glass pie dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding attachment, shred the potatoes; transfer to a large bowl and stir in the onion, cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the potato mixture, flattening it into a 10-inch layer, and cook until the bottom is golden, about 10 minutes. Loosen, then invert onto the pie dish and mold into a crust. Bake about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the skillet over high heat. Add the spinach and 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring, until wilted; drain. Squeeze out any excess water. Chop the spinach.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the spinach. Spoon half of the spinach mixture into the crust, add the cheese, then top with the remaining spinach mixture.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour into the pie dish and bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes.