Recommended by Meriter’s Clinical Dietitian, Krista Kohls.
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion (white or red), cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon hot sauce or Thai chili sauce (optional if you don’t like too much spice)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for med-high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil (I use Pam Spray). If baking preheat oven to 375 degrees, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into 4 patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Top with lettuce, tomato, onion and put the patty on your favorite whole wheat bun! Makes 4 patties. Enjoy!
Compliments of www.allrecipes.com