Star Country – 100 Calorie Snacks 2011-05-25 Star Country’s John and Tammy ate up Meriter Dietitian Krista Kohls snack suggestions!
Click the play button to listen!
It’s summer time and you know what that means – shorts, tank tops and bathing suits!! In order to get you in bathing suit shape this summer here are some 100 calorie snacks to the rescue. These snacks will help hold off hunger and keep your energy levels up, too.
Before you have your snack, keep these helpful hints in mind:
1) Snack with balance. Try to combine a bit of protein, fiber, fat and some carbohydrate to satisfy your hunger (i.e. multigrain crackers and peanut butter).
2) Be a mindful eater. After eating your snack, let it sink in. It does take time for our body to process food so give yourself about 15 minutes.
3) Stay hydrated. Drinking water makes you feel fuller.
4) Plan ahead. You’ll save calories and money by making your own pre-measured snacks. Beware – you’ll usually underestimate the portion so be sure to weigh or measure first.
100 Calorie Snacks
Fruits and veggies:
- ½ cup raspberries plus 1 part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 14 grapes plus ½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 med orange and a few dry-roasted nuts
- ½ apple plus 2 teaspoon peanut butter
- ½ red bell pepper dipped in 3 Tablespoon hummus
- 4 cucumber cups with hummus
- 10-12 almonds
- 8 Special K Multi-grain crackers and 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- ½ Thomas Whole Wheat sandwich thin and 1 Tablespoon 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
- 100 Calorie Light Microwave Popcorn bag
- ½ cup cottage cheese with 5 strawberries
- ½ cup steamed edamame pods
- 1 100 Calorie Cookie pack (watch for hydrogenated fats in ingredients)
- 1 6 ounce light yogurt or 6 ounces nonfat Greek yogurt plus ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup sugar-free, fat-free pudding
- 2 Nabisco Whole Grain Fig Newtons
- 5 Tootsie Rolls or 9 Tootsie Roll Midgees
- 1 Weight Watcher sorbet and ice cream bar
- 1 Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle bar