Click the play button to listen to Dr. Glinberg’s Star Country Radio interview on diabetes prevention. Dr. Glinberg’s Star Country Radio interview on diabetes prevention.
• Make a healthy lifestyle plan that includes losing a small amount of weight if you are overweight – 5-7% (10-14 pounds for a 200-pound person).
• Make healthy food choices (fruits, veggies, lean meats, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, etc.) and drink more water.
• Reduce portion sizes. Portion sizes have doubled in the last few decades.
• Be more active. Thirty minutes, five days per week is ideal, but any amount will still help.
• Set small goals for yourself. Be realistic with your expectations. Identify potential barriers to change and problem-solve around them.
• Know your family history – if you have a mother, father, sister or brother who has diabetes, be aware that your risk increases.
The Meriter Diabetes Care Team can assist you in the management or prevention of diabetes. Contact Meriter West Washington at 417-8300 or visit meriter.com/diabetes.