Compliments of Mayo Clinic. Recipe recommended by Krista Kohls, Meriter Clinical Nutritionist.
- 1/2 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 32 shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Rinse shrimp in cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside on a plate.
- To make the marinade, whisk together the tomato paste, water and oil in a small bowl. Add garlic, chili powder and oregano. Mix well.
- Using a brush, spread the marinade (it will be thick) on both sides of the shrimp. Place in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler (grill). Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Put the shrimp in a grill basket or on skewers and place on the grill. Turn the shrimp after 3 to 4 minutes. The cooking time varies depending on the heat of the fire, so watch carefully.
¬†Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.