- 2 Medium-size unpeeled cucumbers, coarsely diced (about 2 cups)
- Â½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 Â½ medium-size whole wheat pita, lightly toasted and cubed (about 2 Â¼ cups)
- 3 medium-size tomatoes, cut into Â¾ inch pieces (1 Â½ cups)
- 1 small green pepper, diced (Â½Â cup)
- 4-5 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1 Â¼ cup)
- Â½ cup finely minced flat leaf parsley
- Â½ cup finely minced mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese or dry goatâ€™s milk cheese
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumbers with the salt.Â Transfer to a strainer and drain for 30 minutes.Â Rinse in cold water and drain again.Â Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, gently combine the pita cubes, tomatoes, green peppers, scallions, parsley, mint, thyme and the drained cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice.Â Crush the garlic with the bottom of a knife handle to produce a pasty consistency.Â Whisk in the olive oil. Â Pour over the salad and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve at once.
215 cals, 14 gm Fat, 396 mg Na, 20 gm Cho, 3.5 Fiber, 4.5 gm Protein