- 2 Medium-size unpeeled cucumbers, coarsely diced (about 2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 ½ medium-size whole wheat pita, lightly toasted and cubed (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 3 medium-size tomatoes, cut into ¾ inch pieces (1 ½ cups)
- 1 small green pepper, diced (½ cup)
- 4-5 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1 ¼ cup)
- ½ cup finely minced flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup finely minced mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese or dry goat’s milk cheese
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumbers with the salt. Transfer to a strainer and drain for 30 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, gently combine the pita cubes, tomatoes, green peppers, scallions, parsley, mint, thyme and the drained cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Crush the garlic with the bottom of a knife handle to produce a pasty consistency. Whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the salad and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve at once.
215 cals, 14 gm Fat, 396 mg Na, 20 gm Cho, 3.5 Fiber, 4.5 gm Protein