Star Country – Stroke FAST advice 2011-05-18 It’s important to think F.A.S.T. when you suspect someone’s having a stroke. Listen to Dr. Mel Pearlman, Meriter Emergency Services, and Star Country’s John and Tammy discuss why!
It is projected that 795,000 Americans of all ages, ethnicities, and backgrounds will suffer a stroke in 2011; however, the condition is largely preventable. With the National Stroke Association, Meriter is committed to reducing the incidence and impact of stroke by educating the community on risk factor management, acting F.A.S.T. upon stroke symptoms, and spreading hope about stroke recovery.
Quick Facts about Stroke
• There are approximately 795,000 strokes that occur every year in the United States
• Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke
• Every 3-4 minutes, someone in the United States dies from a stroke
• Approximately 15% of strokes are preceded by a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
• About half of patients who experience a TIA fail to report it to their health care provider
Through recognition and management of risk factors and lifestyle changes, up to 80% of strokes can be prevented. Stroke factors that you can control include:
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Tobacco use
• Alcohol use (drinking more than 2 drinks per day)
• Obesity/excessive weight
Stroke requires emergency treatment. Every minute counts! Act F.A.S.T. by learning the signs and symptoms of stroke, it could save yours or the life of a loved one.
• Sudden numbness or weakness of face, arm, or leg- especially on one side of the body
• Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
• Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
• Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
• Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Help raise awareness and spread hope about stroke by donating to the National Stroke Association or the Meriter Foundation Stroke Program Fund.
How Meriter Helps
If your or a loved one has symptoms of a stroke, time is critical. Do you know that Meriter’s emergency department (ED) is the preferred ED for Physicians Plus members? Our trained experts are available 24 hours-a-day to care for your emergency.
If you experience a stroke, our Rehabilitation Medicine Physicians provide a full array of consultative, diagnostic, treatment and case management services for both inpatients and outpatients. They focus on restoring function to provide you with the best possible outcome.
Know the Signs – Request a Wallet Card
Every minute counts. Knowing the signs and symptoms of a stroke could save your life or the life of a loved one. Click here to download or request a free pocket guide on the signs and symptoms.