Free parking is available in the ramp behind the building. There is covered access to the second floor. Once inside the building, look for signs to Meriter Wellness Center.
Meriter’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation program is designed to help you cope with chronic lung disease and improve your breathing and overall health. During the program, you will work with pulmonary rehabilitation staff to improve your strength, endurance, nutrition and emotional well-being.
If you have emphysema, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or if lung problems are keeping you from doing the things you want to, then Meriter Pulmonary Rehabilitation is right for you.
Meriter’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation program provides medically supervised exercise and educational sessions that offer you valuable resources. We first begin with a thorough evaluation and then work with you to develop an individualized plan to meet your health goals. Our program also includes:
• Personalized exercise sessions.
• Individual sessions with a registered dietitian.
• Maintenance plan upon completion of the program for continued progress with lifestyle and exercise changes.
We encourage family members, friends and other individuals to attend our educational classes with you. Topics include:
• Anatomy and physiology: Structure and function of the lungs and types and causes of lung disease.
• Breathing techniques: Shortness of breath, breathing efficiency and benefits of pursed lip and diaphragm breathing.
• Exercise: Differences between aerobic exercise and physical activity, benefits of aerobic exercise and a prescription for exercise – designed just for you.
• Nutrition: Guidelines for healthy eating and benefits of eating well.
• Stress recognition and management: Causes of stress, coping skills and relaxation techniques.
• Tips for activities of daily living: Conserving energy and skills for the ‘job of living’.
• Symptom management: When to call your doctor and proper antibiotic use.
Meriter’s rehabilitation care team includes pulmonary physicians, a registered nurse, respiratory therapists, exercise physiologists, a dietitian and occupational therapists.
Medicare and most private insurance companies approve the pulmonary rehabilitation program and may require a copay. Some insurance companies may require prior physician authorization, which our staff can help you obtain.
Individuals with chronic lung diseases are eligible to participate in Meriter’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation program. We can provide oxygen, if needed. You will need a medical referral before enrolling in the program. If you do not have a referral from your physician, our staff can help you obtain one.