This classroom, video-based, Instructor-led course uses a series of simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, basic life support, PALS treatment algorithms, effective resuscitation and team dynamics. The goal of the PALS Course is to improve the quality of care provided to seriously ill or injured children, resulting in improved outcomes.
Key changes in pediatric advanced life support, reflecting the new science from the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
• 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
• 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
• Management of respiratory emergencies
• Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
• Vascular access
• Resuscitation team concept
• Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
• Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
• All applicants must have completed a Health Care Provider CPR course. If you are not current in CPR, please arrange to do so as soon as possible, hopefully before your PALS course.
• All renewal candidates must submit a current PALS (Pediatric Advanced Support) card. This must be presented at registration.
• It is necessary that the renewal participant be thoroughly familiar with all PALS concepts. The focus of the renewal portion of the course is designed as an update of current PALS protocols and skills and successful skills demonstration/validation.
This course will be located at Meriter Hospital Park in the classroom level of McConnell Hall.
Nearby on-street parking is available in limited areas. Parking in the hospital ramp is limited and is not included in the course fee. The cost is $10/day.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association, and any fees charged for such a course do not represent income to the association
To register for this class, contact Nursing Education, at (608) 417-6420.
Recognition- 2 day course is $225
Renewal- a one day course is $175
Jan 17 and 18, 2013
April 25 and 26, 2013
September 26 and 27, 2013
March 1, 2013
May 22, 2013
July 26, 2013
November 8, 2013
Use of American Heart Association materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the Association.