In this group, led by Meriter’s health psychologist Gretchen A. Diem, Ph.D., you will learn how to recognize the sources of stress in your life, make health-related behavior changes and better manage stress-related symptoms and illnesses. The goal of Mind Body Medicine is to help you feel better and gain greater control of your health. In a safe and supportive group environment, you will learn how to:
• appreciate the mind-body connection
• understand the stress-symptom cycle
• implement healthy lifestyle practices
• incorporate relaxation techniques into daily life
• change unhelpful thinking patterns
• cultivate healing beliefs
• improve communication
• strengthen social support networks
This eight-week group is intended for anyone who:
• is interested in improving their health and reducing stress
• has medical problems triggered by or complicated by stress
• is interested in developing self-care skills to complement their medical treatment
The group will take place once a week on Wednesdays from 3–5 p.m. at the Meriter West Washington (345 W. Washington Avenue, Madison).
Online registration is not available for this class. You must obtain a physician referral and will need an individual screening appointment with the health psychologist prior to enrolling in the group. Many insurance plans will cover the cost of the group. For more information or to schedule your initial screening appointment, please call 608.417.8300.