SHARE 
TEXT SIZE 
Home : About Meriter : Meriter's History

Meriter's History

2012

Meriter opened two new primary care clinics, Meriter Fitchburg Clinic and Meriter Stoughton Clinic. Meriter also opened a Dermatology Clinic in Middleton off of Deming Way.

2011

Meriter was named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® by Thomson Reuters, again. Meriter opened a Specialty Clinic on the second floor in Meriter Hospital. Meriter also added two new clinics, Meriter DeForest-Windsor clinic and Meriter Monona clinic, that provide primary and speciality services.

2010

Meriter was named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® by Thompson Reuters. This award recognizes hospitals that have achieved excellence in clinical outcomes, patient safety, patient satisfaction, financial performance, and operational efficiency. Meriter opened the Meriter Orthopedic Clinic off of Deming Way in Middleton and opened the Digestive Health Center in the hospital. Meriter also implemented electronic medical record systems in the hospital and clinics, including MyChart, MeriterCare and Care Everywhere.

2009

Meriter opened a third medical clinic, Meriter West Washington, to provide primary and specialty care to patients in downtown Madison. A primary care clinic, Meriter Deming Way, also opened in Middleton. Meriter added state-of-the-art operating rooms in the hospital that contain the latest technology for surgical procedures.

2008

Meriter opened a second medical clinic, Meriter McKee, which is located off of McKee Road. Meriter Hospital also constructed a state-of-the-art Oncology Unit. The new Oncology Unit has 15 private inpatient rooms and an expanded outpatient treatment area.

2007

Meriter opened the Heart Hospital, which is on the top two floors of our Tower wing.  On 11 Tower there is a 14-bed cardiac IMCU and 31-bed Cardiac Telemetry units, and 10 Tower consists of a Cardiac Short Stay Unit, which includes 16 private rooms and two procedure rooms.

crack

2006

Meriter holds a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the opening of a Newborn Intensive Care Unit. The new unit - with 12,000 square feet devoted to patient and family care - blends high-tech and high-touch elements. It replaced a two-room, 23-bed unit, which opened in 1990.

2004

A standalone Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Hospital off of Raymond Road opened. Meriter also opened its first medical clinic in Middleton off of Elmwood Avenue.

1998

Meriter opens its new Atrium addition, a 117,000-square-foot addition that houses the new Emergency Room, educational conference rooms, and cardiology and pulmonary departments.

1989

Meriter opens its Birthing Center, becoming the first area hospital to offer single-room maternity care to families in southern Wisconsin.

1988

Meriter started an Adolescent Psychiatry Program.

1987

General Health Services and Methodist Health Services, the parent companies of Madison General Hospital and Methodist Hospital, merge to become Meriter Health Services. Madison General and Methodist - Madison's two oldest hospitals - become Meriter Hospital.

1986

Methodist and Madison General boards meet to discuss how the hospitals should respond to Physicians Plus and Jackson Clinic merger discussions. Methodist Hospital opens its Women's Center.

1983

Methodist Hospital installs a new CAT scanner. Madison General Hospital reorganizes into General Health Services.

1980

Nurse internship program is added at Methodist Hospital. The program's goal is to assist new graduates in assuming the responsibilities of practitioners in a clinical setting.

1974

Methodist Hospital School of Nursing graduates its final senior class. More than 1,000 students have graduated from the school since its inception in 1921.

1972

Madison General finishes construction of its Tower addition. The NewStart Alcohol and Drug Treatment Program, Perinatal Center and Cardiac Rehabilitation programs are operating.

1970

The Methodist Health Foundation is established. Madison General Hospital finishes construction on its new laboratory on South Brooks Street (the current Meriter Laboratories building) and parking ramp.

1964

The Oscar Rennebohm Foundation gives Methodist Hospital a cardiac monitor, the first of its kind in Wisconsin. Annual admissions are more than 2,200. First male student graduates from Madison General School of Nursing.

1963

Madison General Hospital opens its North Wing, and demolishes the original 1903 building to make room. The new addition houses the hospital's Psychiatry and Rehabilitation programs. Methodist Hospital opens its new Intensive Care Unit, the first hospital in the city to adopt a new principle of combining all critically ill patients in one area rather than in individual units for specific classes of patient care.

1962

Methodist Hospital's Psychiatric Center opens. A new nursing building is completed. Hospital purchases a polarized x-ray unit that prints x-rays in 10 seconds. Patients are still allowed to smoke in their rooms.

1957

Madison General Medical and Surgical Research Foundation established. Madison General Hospital becomes affiliated with the UW Medical School in that Madison General staff give obstetrics training to UW medical students.

1950

Methodist Hospital marks its 30th anniversary. The salary for a registered nurse is $200 per month. Methodist adopts a 40-hour workweek. Madison General Hospital begins construction of an East Wing. Birth rooms, laboratory facilities and a new surgical suite are included in the seven-floor addition.

1943

Food supply rationing creates a need for a call for food donations. Madison General Hospital opens McConnell Hall, a classroom and residence hall for its school of nursing. It is named after Frank T. McConnell, whose bequest - along with money from the Public Works Administration - funded the project.

1940

Methodist Hospital joins Madison General and St. Marys in offering a low-cost, non-profit group pre-payment hospital plan to various employed groups in Madison.

1930

Due to the Depression and economic troubles, food is accepted in lieu of monetary payment for hospital services. Admission requirements to the Methodist School of Nursing: four years of high school, good Christian character, between the ages of 17 1/2 & 35, good teeth and a letter from a pastor.

1929

Madison General Hospital completes its Center Wing, bringing total patient capacity to 175.

1927

First patient admitted to the new Methodist Hospital building. It has 125 beds and five operating rooms. Innovations include night-lights in patient rooms and two automatic elevators.

1921

Methodist Hospital School of Nursing is established, with Miss Carolyn Fanny serving as superintendent.

1920

The Jackson doctors sign an agreement with Methodist to provide regular medical and surgical staff for the hospital.

1919

Wisconsin Methodist Hospital and Home Association articles of incorporation are signed. The association buys a building on West Washington Avenue and South Henry Street.

1914

Obstetrics Department becomes a separate entity at Madison General.

1912

Madison General Hospital adds a West Wing, bringing its capacity to 85 beds. The cost of the addition is $94,000. Dr. James Jackson and three of his sons donate funds to outfit a "modern" surgical suite, but stipulate that only Jackson Clinic surgeons can use it. Eight years later, a dispute over this stipulation causes the Jacksons to move their affiliation to the Methodist Hospital.

1903

Less than a year after it opens, the new Madison General Hospital reaches its capacity of 30 patients. The first baby is delivered on October 20; Alice Ashford Sheldon Davis. Her mother names her after the head nurse (Miss Ashford) and doctor (Dr. Sheldon) who delivered her.

1898

Madison General Hospital Association articles of incorporation are signed. It will be five more years before a permanent home is built with funds raised from the City of Madison and local philanthropists such as the Madison Women's Club and Attic Angels.